The Governing Body of The Holy Cross School comprises eighteen volunteer members drawn from its main stakeholder groups, namely: the Archdiocese of Southwark, school staff, parents and the Local Education Authority. As a Catholic voluntary aided school, the majority of governors are appointed as Foundation Governors by the Archdiocese.
Collectively, we support the work of the Headteacher, his leadership team and school staff to help raise the standards of achievement for all students.
We play a strategic and monitoring role, leaving the day-to-day management of the school to the Headteacher and his leadership team.
Our work can be divided into six key areas:
- Working with the Headteacher in setting the school’s strategic direction and targets and agreeing plans and policies
- Monitoring and evaluating performance; acting as a critical friend to the Headteacher by providing support and challenge
- Ensuring that the school reflects the mission and ethos of the Catholic community
- Ensuring the school is accountable to the students and parents it serves, to its local community, to those who fund and maintain it, as well as to the staff it employs
- Approving the school budget
- Assisting with the recruitment of senior staff and agreeing appropriate pay scales.
In summary, we work in partnership with the Headteacher to focus on all areas of school activity, its finances, environment and the requirements of external authorities to ensure Holy Cross provides the highest possible standards of teaching and learning for all students.
The Governing Body is required to provide information to parents about the performance of the school via The School Profile. This is an on-line document which is updated annually.
The full Governing Body usually meets twice a term. However, Governors also volunteer to stand on one or more of its four sub-committees, each of which focuses on an area of responsibility:
- Faith, Mission and Ethos
- Audit, Finance and Personnel
- Buildings/Health and Safety
These sub-committees generally meet twice a term and report back to the full Governing Body. Minutes of the sub-committees and the approved minutes of the Governing Body are available on request.
Provision is also made for the following statutory committees to be convened as required: Pupil Discipline Committee, Staff Discipline Committee, Staff Discipline Appeals Committee.
Ideas and issues relating to the day-to-day running of the school should always be directed to the school’s Heads of Department or Management Team in the first instance. The Headteacher, as a member of the Governing Body, will always ensure the Governors are aware of any matter that impacts their area of responsibility. However, should you wish to contact the Governing Body directly, you are welcome to do so via our Chair:
Mr Piers North
Chair of Governors, c/o The Holy Cross School
25 Sandal Road
Should you be interested in becoming a Governor at the Holy Cross School, please contact Mr Kenneth Kehoe, Clerk to the Governors, who will be pleased to advise you of any vacancies and how you might apply.